Suggestions for at-home care
(HealthDay News) — If your child develops a bad case of food poisoning, it can take a few days of TLC before he feels better.
The Nemours Foundation offers these tips for the parents of a child with food poisoning:
- Encourage lots of rest.
- Offer plenty of fluids to help prevent dehydration. Electrolyte solutions and most beverages are fine, but avoid caffeine or milk.
- Have your child take frequent but small sips of fluids.
- Skip dairy products and solid foods until any diarrhea has subsided.
- Don’t give the child any over-the-counter anti-diarrheal medications. Such medicines can actually prolong symptoms.
- Once major symptoms subside, offer small amounts of low-fat, bland foods for several days.
– Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Similar Health Articles: