They’re healthy and low in fat
(HealthDay News) — Beans, peas and lentils are examples of legumes — nourishing foods that pack a lot of energy.
The University of Michigan Health System says the benefits of legumes include:
- They’re low-fat foods and are an excellent source of antioxidants.
- They’re protein-rich and a good source of fiber.
- They contain essential nutrients, such as folate, calcium, zinc, iron and selenium.
- They have a low glycemic index.
- They’re affordable and don’t require a lot of effort to prepare.
– Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Similar Health Articles: